Thursday 26 June 2014

Excelsior Jones

Brunch..ah, it's just one of those things you do when you become a couple. Sunday mornings, lazy and slow. I personally really enjoy brunch, it's such a weekend thing to do. One of my girlfriends recommended to come and try Excelsior Jones, apparently their 'Breakfast in a bowl' is pretty awesome. Situated in a very residential street in the middle of Ashfield, I've been told that it gets packed real fast. Before you even go in, you can smell the bacon, coffee and baked goods drifting through the air. The kitchen is small and compact, the water is served in a recycled glass jar instead of a bottle. "Very hipster for Ashfield" is the first thought that popped into my head and it is in fact, very hipster. One might imagine this kind of place to appear in Newtown or Darlinghurst perhaps but Ashfield? Regardless, the first impression wasn't bad. The menu is separated into breakfast and lunch, I got the Pork hash with pearl shallots, fried buckwheat, poached egg & fresh herbs. Jules got the smashed mint peas with bacon on toast. I'm a soy latte sipper and most of the time the milk is burnt, I can confidently say that my soy latte from Excelsior Jones was just perfect. 

My pork hash looked glorious, you can tell that the egg is poached just right simply by looking at it. The potatoes are roughly crushed and pan fried, the skin crispy while the inside is still moist and fluffy. When you break the yolk of the egg, the gooey yellow centre oozes down and mixes with the potatoes and pork. The pulled pork is so satisfying to munch on, especially when paired with the potatoes and the caramelised shallots. The buckwheat adds a nice crunch. Jules' one was nice to look at but in terms of taste, mine would win for sure. 

This place did surprise me a lot, not only did I have the best soy latte here, I also have found my favourite brunch dish. If only it was in Burwood...oh well, regardless, highly highly recommended!

139A Queen St, Ashfield

No comments:

Post a Comment